Monday, August 8, 2011

A Song By Its Cover...

Ahhhhhh, the dreaded Monday! I know Monday's are usually everyone's least favorite day of the week, but surprisingly enough they are one of my favorites... at least when it comes to blogging because that just means that it's Music Monday time!


Last week I did some of my favorite live songs, and of course when you are looking through different artists' live performances you always come across some cover songs in the process. Sometimes a cover can be pretty bad, in fact some covers are just down right wrong, and there is just no comparing to the original version. But sometimes you can come across a cover that is such a great, fresh new take on a song that it can be even better than the original ever was. Or, if you're lucky, a cover can even turn you onto a band that you hadn't ever been interested in before.


So here are a few of my favorite cover songs. I'm not saying that they are better than the originals, they are just different, and I like them and I hope you will too.


Dave Matthews - All Along The Watchtower
Original by Bob Dylan (although most people would be more familiar with the Jimi Hendrix version)


This actually isn't my favorite Dave Matthews version of this song. I LOVE the full band version of it that he does but sadly I couldn't find a good quality video of that version. This one is still great though!



The White Stripes - Jolene
Original by Dolly Parton

IMO this is better than the original, but what can I say, I'm a HUGE Jack White fan.



Vampire Weekend - Everywhere
Original by Fleetwood Mac

I'm honestly not sure I had ever heard this song until I heard this version, but I like it and it turned me on to Fleetwood Mac so it makes the list!


Bruno Mars - Cover Medeley featuring Rolling on the River, Eye of the Tiger, The Way You Make Me Feel
Originals by Tina Turner, Survivor, and Michael Jackson

This guy is so talented. Seriously.


Vanessa Carlton - Paint It Black
Original by the Rolling Stones

This one isn't better than the original but I just love Vanessa Carlton's voice and loved her rendition of a classic.


Johnny Cash - Hurt
Original by Nine Inch Nails

Probably my favorite cover song of all time. Johnny Cash is simply AMAZING.



Have a favorite cover that should have made our list? Leave a comment and let us know!

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment