Wednesday, October 26, 2011

DIY - Home Fries and Fried Eggs

Morning all! So I don't know about you, but the only thing harder to get though during the week than Mondays is getting through Wednesdays. It's already half way through the week, but the weekend still seems so far away! But what better way to start off your day strong than an awesome breakfast! I've been wanting to try my hand at some home fries lately and I've also been wanting to experiment with some eggs since all we ever do is scrambled, so that's exactly what I did!

For my full breakfast, I decided to go with eggs, home fries, bacon, and toast.



For the home fries, I relied on my favorite cooking website: Smitten Kitchen. I love this website! It's the first place I check whenever looking for a new recipe and lucky for me, they had the perfect recipe for Home Fries.

I followed their recipe pretty closely, except I only added paprika, no chives (only because I didn't have any) and I didn't use but probably 1/4 of an onion. We aren't huge on actually eating onions around here but love the flavor, so using less came out perfect for our tastes!


Start with a little butter

Microwave the chopped potatoes. I've read that you can also par boil them, or cook them completely in the skillet but I decided to stick with the original recipe.

Sauté the onions.

Add the potatoes.

I probably started the bacon a little too soon because it was done well before the potatoes and eggs, so you could hold off on add that for a bit.

They are starting to look soooo good. I read that a lot of people had trouble getting these to not stick in the pan, but I didn't have any trouble. You just have to cook them on a slightly lower temperature and be patient. They will stick if you try to turn them too early.

I used Oscar Mayer bacon but I have recently discovered that my favorite bacon is the thick cut hickory smoked by Conecuh Sausage Co. They are from Evergreen, AL and make the most AMAZING bacon and sausage!

Unfortunately my camera lady fell down on the job once I added the eggs but this is the video I watched to learn how to fry the eggs. I've only ever done scrambled eggs before and I don't like runny yolks, so fried over hard sounded good to me.

The only eggs picture I got. I first attempted one in the cast iron skillet that I cooked the bacon in, but it was a little small for cooking 2 eggs at time so for the second batch I added them to the pan that had the potatoes. This gave them a little of that onion flavor which was a great addition!

Jelly for the toast. My all time favorite jelly is plum and my mom loves bringing different kinds back for me every time she goes to the mountains in North Carolina. YUM.

The final product. The home fries were simply AWESOME. And so easy to make too. They will definitely become a staple around here. The fried eggs were also good.  A nice little change of pace from the typical scrambled. They take a little practice, but I'm sure I will get better at making them over time. 

All in all, this was the perfect way to start off a Wednesday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment